Your Rights as a New Teacher or TTOC
All members of the GVTA, whether they are a Teacher teaching on Call or engaged in a Temporary or Continuing Contract, are protected by the Collective Agreement and are entitled equally to representation and assistance by the GVTA and the BCTF. If you have any questions or concerns, you are encouraged to contact the GVTA through the GVTA Office or through a Staff Rep at a school.
Frequently asked questions or concerns that arise are:
- your rights or responsibilities as a School District employee or a member of the Union,
- the hiring (post-and-fill) process in the School District,
- problems with payment of salary and benefits,
- what a School District official, administrator, or teacher is expecting you to do in the performance of your duties,
- the School District is not following the provisions of the Collective Agreement,
- accessing GVTA Professional Development funds,
- accessing funds from the GVTA Benevolent Fund, or
- becoming active in the GVTA.