WCB Claims Process

If you are injured at work or have symptoms of a work-related illness - even if you are not seeking a compensation claim - observe the following steps:

  1. Report the injury to Administration, as soon as practicable. A simple email or note is adequate. They are required to use these reports in discussions with the Health & Safety Committee.
  2. Report the injury to the first aid attendant, if applicable.
  3. Seek medical attention, if required, and tell your doctor your injury is work related. The employer is responsible for your transportation costs from your workplace to a doctor’s office or hospital.
  4. Complete Form 6A - Workers’ Report of Injury or Occupational Disease to Employer and submit to the employer.
  5. On both pages of Form 6A write "The worker requests a copy of the employer's report be sent to the Workers' Compensation Board."
  6. Fax a copy of the completed Form 6A to the GVTA at 595-0189. This will be forwarded to BCTF staff who are responsible for tracking the progress of member claims.
  7. If you are seeking a claim for compensation, complete and submit Form 6 - Application for Compensation and Report of Injury or Occupational Disease to the employer. Fax a copy to the GVTA at 595-0189. This will also be tracked by the BCTF.

Although there is one year in which to file a claim, the WCB Regulation specifies that as soon as is practicable after an injury occurs or an occupational disease is contracted it must be reported to the employer. Unnecessary delays in reporting have often resulted in denial of claims.

The GVTA and BCTF can assist with your WCB claim. Please contact the GVTA office if you have questions or concerns.